Playdough has to be one of our favourite activities to do with children at home. It’s quick, easy, lasts in the fridge for ages and provides HOURS of fun, even for older children. Here is our easiest and best playdough recipes!
The Best Playdough Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup self raising flour (this gives the playdough a wonderfully soft and fluffy texture!)
- 2 tablespoons of oil (we use coconut or olive oil)
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tablespoons cream of tartar (find it in the baking section of your supermarket)
- Approx 1 cup boiling water. Just add bits of it until you get a nice texture, sometimes it can be a bit more than 1 cup.
- Food colouring (optional)
- a few drops of your favourite essential oil (we love peppermint or wild orange)
Mix the flours, salt, cream of tartar and oil in a large mixing bowl. Add the food colouring to the boiling water and gently stir through. Then, add the water to the dry ingredients in increments until you are happy with the texture. Add a few drops essential oil and knead through. Make sure you continue to knead the playdough until it the right consistency. You may need to add a bit more flour if it is too sticky.
This dough will store in an airtight container in the fridge for several months.
Play Doh without Cream of Tartar
- 1 cup of flour
- 1/4 cup of salt
- 3/4 cup of water
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- A few drops of food colouring (if you want it)
- A few drops of essential oils to make it smell nice (if you want it)
Here are some ideas of how to get creative with your playdough!
- Go for a nature walk and collect sticks, leaves, flowers and stones to add to your playdough creations!
- Add gems and beads so children can make pretty patterns in their dough (children 3+)
- Raid the kitchen drawers for playdough tools for rolling, cutting and moulding.
- Googly eyes and pipe-cleaners for playdough monsters!
- Sea shells and sand for “beach playdough”
- Make playdough pretend pizzas!
- Make lots of little batches of colour for rainbow playdough – children would love mixing together.
- Paint your playdough! When your playdough is looking a bit sad, roll it out and paint on it! Beautiful!