Kids in the kitchen? Some of us love it, some of not so much! But teaching kids to enjoy cooking and eating a range of delicious and healthy Meals is important and starting early helps. This super easy pizza recipe from the awesome Adelaide-based folks at Cook n Create will have you and the kids coming back for more. Toppings are completely up to you and your children so experiment a bit and have fun while at it (ps – Nutella and banana is totally an option for dessert pizza!!)
Cook n Create Pizza Shopping List (serves 4..ish)
For the yummy dough
- 300g (2 1/3 cups) self raising flour (some extra for dusting)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 300g (1 1/5cup) natural/Greek yogurt
Top Tip: We can flavour the dough (and it’s a fabulous thing to do!!) If you want to do this – what you flavour it with is your choice! Some of my suggestions are: Herbs (fresh or dried – rosemary is yum!), paprika, chili, Cheese (a handful of grated cheese is enough), Garlic powder, seeds, curry powder etc. We like to use a teaspoon or so of dried ingredients to flavour the dough but really it depends how strong you want the flavour so you can get creative with this – you might even mix flavours
For the yummy toppings (this is really flexible too!)
- 70g (1/3 cup) sauce (Ready made pizza sauce/passata/ketchup/bbq/curry or a combination etc)
- 1 teaspoon of dried mixed herbs/or a small bunch of chopped fresh herbs of your choice
- 250g (2 ½ cups) cheese. A cheese of your choice/preference is fine (I love to mix 150g cheddar 100g mozzarella)
- Any other toppings – You can add whatever you want to your pizza! Some of our suggestions include: Ham, Salami, olives, capsicums, onion, salmon, chicken, pineapple, sweetcorn, zucchini, tomatoes, falafel, roasted pumpkin, mushrooms, bacon etc – the amounts are up to you too!
Cook n Create pizza equipment list
- Round pizza tray (1) or baking sheets for 2 small pizzas (2)
- Baking paper
- Mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Tablespoon/dessert spoon
- Wooden spoon
- Cooling rack
- Cheese grater
- Knife (We suggest the adult assists with, or does, the sharp knife bits )
- Chopping board
To do before the Cook n Create Pizza session
- Weigh ingredients
- Wash hands thoroughly
- Tie any long hair back
- Roll up sleeves
- Put on an apron if you have one
- Preheat the oven to 220c/200c (fan assisted)/Gas mark 7
- Chop/peel/prep your toppings (have an adult help teach slicing and dicing skills)
- Get equipment out
- Get an adult to get their camera ready to get some pictures 😊
Cook n Create pizza method
- Preheat the oven to 200c/180c fan/Gas 4 and line pizza trays (if you are making full sized) with baking paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a bowl. Give a little mix to ensure ingredients are even. Make a well in the middle. Pour in the yogurt and stir with a fork to combine. If you are flavouring your dough, add those ingredients now and stir to ensure the flavour is evenly distributed.
- Once the mixture has formed a rough dough, turn out onto a floured work surface and knead to form a smooth ball. Divide the dough into however many pizzas you want.
- Roll your dough into balls. Using a rolling pin roll your dough into thin circles.
- Using your rolling pin, transfer the dough onto your trays (If your dough is thick you can bake it for 4/5 mins and then remove from the oven with an oven glove before topping)
- Add your sauce (using the back of a teaspoon) and smear evenly over the base but not right to the edges.
- Add your toppings (Your cheese should go on first but – this is your pizza so you do what you like!)
- Using an oven glove place your pizzas into the oven for15/20 mins. This depends how crispy you like your toppings and base.
- Once ready, using your oven gloves – remove the pizzas from the oven. Allow to cool slightly, cut and serve with a side of your choice! DELICIOUS!
Top Tip: ALWAYS decorate your pizzas on the trays! If you do it on the work surface and then try to move them – it never ends well!
Cook n Create are a fantastic, Adelaide mobile cooking school who offer classes for all ages and abilities. Find out more about this awesome team here, or be sure to try making this awesome Rocky Road recipe with the family.