The Marion Cultural Centre is a large facility, catering for many different age groups and many different interests. This is a great place to check out for school holiday activities, or even during the week. There’s cabarets, monkey’s playing drums, famous kids singers and authors, art work, books and much more!
I’m all for public libraries, and the one at the MCC is fantastic. It has all your needs (including internet, photocopying, a huge range of books, DVD’s, board games….) and has many different areas to sink down and immerse yourself in piles of books with your kids. The library operates 7 days a week and Signatures Cafe is located close by if you feel like sitting down with a borrowed book and a coffee before heading home. Libraries are not only a great way of saving money but they are full of such knowledgeable people who are up to date with all the current books and resources to help you or to entertain your children.
The MCC has lots of different sections. There’s often events on for kids and families on weekends, and it boasts a very full program in the school holidays. There’s also the Gallery M arts facility, which has an ever-evolving arts display. The Sturt and Green Rooms are great places for holding small to medium-sized meetings and have all the mod-cons to help your presentations go smoothly.
Some of the great things about the MCC are….
- Story-telling for Pre-schoolers: Weekly Tuesdays during term time 10:30-11:15am
- Baby Bounce (0-2 year olds): Weekly Tuesdays during term time 9:30 – 10:00am
- Large children’s area, with desks, chairs, craft equipment
- Wide range of books
- It’s next to State Aquatic Centre (an amazing, recently upgraded facility with waterslides, lap swimming, wading pools and a gym)
- It’s right next to Westfield Marion shopping centre (just tell your husband that the shoes were on sale and no, you’ve had this top for ages he just mustn’t have noticed it before..!)
- There’s lots of parking, but it can be a nightmare during peak times such as Christmas
- It has new, clean facilities, with baby change rooms available
- Most activites are free, but events generally range from $5 to $30
- Check the website or the local Messenger for up-to-date details of events.
- MCC, 287 Diagonal Road, Oaklands Park
- Room Hire Tel: (08) 8375 6790
Box Office Tel: (08) 8375 6855
Gallery M Tel: (08) 8377 2904
Signatures Cafe Tel: (08) 8375 6841